About Me

My photo
Dover, Arkansas, United States
Visit my official website: Paula's Doll House Hi, I'm Paula McGee, lazy daydreamer, owner & chief dollmaker here at the Doll House. I started designing my own dolls in 1998. I've done all sorts of handicrafts and arts in my time but once I began designing "dolls" I never turned back because any craft or art skill can be used in dollmaking artwork. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years this year and together we have 6 children and 2 grandchildren. My handsome beast is a truck driver and I've just started going with him on the big rig. YES, I make my dolls and write my patterns while ON THE TRUCK... I love traveling. I love God. I love art and doll making. I love teaching what I know and meeting other artists. Love, Paula

Monday, March 27, 2006

Doll Works!

I started this doll March 17th. Here is the doll body with arms seperated for now for costuming purposes. Fabrics for the costume and a drawing for the face I want to do on the doll...

Then my son had an accident, poked his eye - just an accident that turned into an ER visit and several days of nervousness on my part, worrying about his eye and administering many drops several times a day.

BUT all is well now and he can see just a perfectly as before the accident! YAY! So I didn't even think of getting back to dollmaking until he was better!




Here I have sewn the underskirt in place, I love this sheer, sparkling fabric in shades of brown and purple...








I have added the over skirt, green crinkle fabric. the caramel brown crinkle top and short corset in the green fabric of the overskirt.

I "melt" all the edges of the fabrics with a candle.

Looks very faerie-like...






Close-up view of the top and corset. I've tied a decorative fiber yarn around her waist. I use this fiber all over the costume to tie it all together.

Now to add the arms... see below!






I have used the caramel brown crinkle fabric, used in the top, here for the sleeves.

Notice the fiber yarn wrapped around and around her upper arms.
Now the arms are ready to be attached to the body.




I'm using strong button thread to stitch the arms in place.








The sleeves have been gathered and stitched in place at the shoulders. The costume is finshed.

Stay tuned for the finished piece! I've done her hair and am now working on her face and she may even get wings soon!

See ya, Paula

3 comments:

shashi said...

Hi Paula,
I posted a comment earlier but it has not shown up. I don't know why.
Just wanted to tell you I love this fairy of yours. She is so elegant and beautiful and I love the costuming.

thecoppermouse said...

Cool blog! Sure am glad I found it. Love to see your works in progress.

Regards,
Coppermouse

Paula said...

THANKS!!!