About Me

My photo
Dover, Arkansas, United States
Visit my official website: Paula's Doll House Hi, I'm Paula McGee, lazy daydreamer, owner & chief dollmaker here at the Doll House. I started designing my own dolls in 1998. I've done all sorts of handicrafts and arts in my time but once I began designing "dolls" I never turned back because any craft or art skill can be used in dollmaking artwork. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years this year and together we have 6 children and 2 grandchildren. My handsome beast is a truck driver and I've just started going with him on the big rig. YES, I make my dolls and write my patterns while ON THE TRUCK... I love traveling. I love God. I love art and doll making. I love teaching what I know and meeting other artists. Love, Paula

Monday, December 04, 2006

thoughts on a new book...

I have finally emerged from a new book, my copy of "The Art of Wendy Froud"... It is absolutely breath taking, it's full of so many gorgeous dolls...
It's amazing to me, a doll maker myself, how different the lives doll artists lead. And yet we are the same in that we "communicate" with our work, our dolls, or rather they commune with us and take on a personality of their own. Each doll captures a part of the doll maker's spirit, or soul, and mood at the time of creation. Wendy says that is why she never makes a doll when she's angry... That's the same reason why I don't make a doll when I'm in a horrible mood, it just wouldn't feel right to subject a piece of mine in such a negative light.
I don't like to spread hate or anger into the world with my art...
I like my dolls to invoke happiness in the onlooker and create or remind us of happy memories.
Just a few thoughts....
from Me ~Paula Johnson~
p.s. Check out the book for yourself at: http://www.goblinmarket.net/store/page2.html

2 comments:

platitudinal said...

Paula, thank you for sharing this thought ... not to create while one is angry, stopping the possibility of infusing ones anger and impose it upon others.

thecoppermouse said...

If I am upset about something, my mood soon mellows when I get lost in dollmaking. My work is my best source for happiness.