About Me

My photo
Dover, Arkansas, United States
Visit my official website: Paula's Doll House Hi, I'm Paula McGee, lazy daydreamer, owner & chief dollmaker here at the Doll House. I started designing my own dolls in 1998. I've done all sorts of handicrafts and arts in my time but once I began designing "dolls" I never turned back because any craft or art skill can be used in dollmaking artwork. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years this year and together we have 6 children and 2 grandchildren. My handsome beast is a truck driver and I've just started going with him on the big rig. YES, I make my dolls and write my patterns while ON THE TRUCK... I love traveling. I love God. I love art and doll making. I love teaching what I know and meeting other artists. Love, Paula

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

a tiny memory...

These roses are blooming today, after an untimely frost killed all my other roses flowerbuds. These are old roses, though, from my grandmother. She gave me these rose bushes a few years ago when I settled into my own home.

The blooms are delicate and beautiful, like life itsself. But also strong. Strong enough to fight the bitter cold on the darkest of nights, like Mamaw, like I hope I am...

These are my favorite roses, these old tyme ones. Though they bloom only once per year, like a special moment shared with a loved one. When they are gone they leave a fragrant memory... until next spring, when we shall meet again...

My grandmother passed away last February, and these roses, her roses, her mother's roses, gave me that small memory of the day I was at her home and we dug them and placed them in a bucket for me to bring to my home. It was a beautiful day and they were blooming then...

They also bring to mind my childhood, being at Mamaw's and the roses blooming by the side of her home, the scent delightful...

...and that's a little story of some pink roses blooming in the spring...

1 comment:

Shashi Nayagam said...

What a beautiful rose and the colour is lovely and delicate.
At this point I would also like to tell you that your dolls are beautiful. I love the new mermaid she is gorgeous her fins are gorgeous and the embroidary on it is lovely. Your face painting is beautiful.You did great.